What do members get?
bgen is a specialist support network for professional plant and natural world educators.
We help our members to connect people and plants in innovative and engaging ways.
bgen promotes and advances the delivery of education, learning and interpretation in the sector.
Our members represent more than 70 botanic gardens, zoos, arboreta, other environmental education institutions and consultants throughout the UK, Ireland and further afield.
bgen offers you and your organisation:
- An exciting annual conference with updates on current initiatives and lots of practical ideas to take back to your garden
- Training days focussing on essential topics such as evaluation, interpretation and plenty of networking opportunities
- Summer networking and training event
- Connection with other members through the website and exclusive closed Facebook group
Be the first to hear about special rates for:
- Our essential annual conference
- At least four practical training events and seminars per year at gardens across the country
- Cost effective professional development opportunities for staff and volunteers
- Current vacancies in the sector
Be represented with:
- A national voice for botanical education and our members’ interests
- Partnerships with related organisations and initiatives, including PlantNetwork, and Botanic Gardens Conservation International
- Voting rights at BGEN General Meetings
Annual membership fees
|UK & Overseas|
|Individual membership||£ 30*|
|Organisational membership (unlimited number of named members)||£ 110*|
Additionally, all staff (paid or volunteer) at your organisation are entitled to attend bgen events at the member rate. Where only individual membership is held by a member(s) of an organisation, other colleagues pay the non-member rate to attend bgen events. Staff from organisations who are members of PlantNetwork are also entitled to attend events at the member’s rate.
*NB: Changes to our governance and finance:
Over the past year we have been reviewing our governance and financial management. Our accounting year runs from April 1st to March 31st however our Membership year runs from January to December. We would like to adjust this so that we can bring the accounts and membership renewal in line.
For this reason, we are asking members to pay a 15-month subscription this year, which will take you from January 1st 2020 up to March 31st 2021. The Membership fee for this 15-month period will therefore be 25% higher at £137.50 for Organisation Membership and £37.50 for Individuals. Thereafter the membership renewal will revert back to a standard 12-month payment of £110 or £30 (April 1st 2021 – March 31st 2022). We do apologise for the slight amendment needed but hope that this will not significantly impact on you as this is a one off and a relatively small adjustment.
Members agree to accept the Articles and Memorandum of Association for bgen as a Limited Company, and to act in accordance with its rules and regulations. These are available on request from the BGEN Administrator.