Why become a Growing Schools Gardens site?
Hands-on learning outside the classroom has been seen to improve pupils’ outcomes in achievement, standards, motivation, personal development and behaviour.
As an accredited GSGs site, you will join a network of GSGs throughout England that:
- Exemplify good practice, including risk management, in children’s learning in the natural environment
- Provide training for teachers and educators to develop outdoor classrooms for learning
- Provide access to gardens that offer a range of plant displays and opportunities for learning outside the classroom
What are the benefits of becoming a Growing Schools Gardens site?
Achieving GSGs accreditation is evidence that your site is benchmarking the provision of educational visits – by delivering high quality teaching and learning experiences and managing risk effectively. The process of accreditation and the scheme’s system of monitoring and evaluation also provide a framework for sites to regularly examine and develop their practice.
Membership of the GSGs community also brings other benefits:
- Recognition by the Department of Children Schools and Families (DCSF) and Growing Schools of both the quality of your site and the standard of your educational provision
- It facilitates contacts with other GSGs to share experience and knowledge
- GSGs accreditation enhances the status of educational provision within your site
- It opens up the potential for further collaboration and partnerships with other GSGs on Growing Schools activities
- Your site is highlighted on BGEN and other Growing Schools Websites
How to become a Growing Schools Gardens site
Start the process of becoming a GSGs site now:
- Download the Accreditation Guidelines for developing a GSGs site GSGAccredguide.doc GSGAccredguide.pdf
- Download the Application Form and guidance notes GSGApplicationForm.doc
- Complete and submit your application form:
or fax to: 0208 332 5640
or post to:
Royal Botanic Gardens,
Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB
Resources for Growing Schools Gardens
To help you explore the full potential of your GSGs site, we’ve put together a comprehensive resource of the best available information from BGEN members and other useful websites. Come back shortly for information on:
- Setting up a school garden
- Plant lists
- Curriculum links
Keeping our Resources up-to-date
We’re always keen to expand and develop our GSGs resources, so if you know of any information, material or links that are not already included in our Resource section, we’d be very happy to hear from you.
Find out how some of our pioneering gardens have set up GSGs sites.
Monitoring and evaluation
To ensure that accredited GSGs sites operate at the highest standard and reflect the ethos of Growing Schools, every site will be required to submit an annual self-monitoring form. BGEN members will also carry out random site visits to ensure that accredited GSGs are meeting the GSGs criteria.
Become a BGEN member TODAY!
Why don’t you join BGEN today and become part of the UK’s only dedicated networking organisation for educators working in gardens and other outdoor amenity sites. With an annual conference, access to unrivalled professional expertise and the latest in educational thinking and practise, your membership could be invaluable to the continued success and development of your site.